Make Your Own Probiotic Rich Root Beer
Step 1: Culture your Ginger Bug!
- Fill quart mason jar ¾ full with spring water.
- Add 2 tbs freshly grated ginger and 2 tbs sugar and cover with cheesecloth.
- Every morning for 5 days add 2 tsp ginger and 2 tsp sugar and stir.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
Step 2: Make your Root Beer Syrup!
- Boil 2 quarts of spring water and add ⅛ cup Licorice, ⅛ cup Ginger, ¼ Cinnamon Stick. Simmer for 2 hours and remove from heat.
- Add 1 quart of boiling spring water to ¼ cup Wintergreen and allow to infuse for 2 hours.
- Allow the herbal decoction and infusion to cool.
- Strain the herbs and combine mixtures.
- Add ¾ cup ginger bug, 1/2 cup sugar, a few drops of vanilla, and stir well.
Step 3: Bottle your Root Beer!
- Bottle your Root beer in a Grolsch bottle (or an airtight container) and allow to ferment in room temperature for 3 days.
- Refrigerate and enjoy.
- Use Organic and locally sourced ingredients when possible.
- Results vary depending on environmental temperature, strength of the culture, and ingredients.
- Keep an eye on root beer to prevent over carbonation as it is possible for the bottle to explode.
- Feel free to experiment with different spices, herbs or sweeteners and longer decoction or infusion times.